Let’s Analyze top CMS, I’ve seen the manner internet has advanced. From private blogs to dedicated business websites, the internet domain has seen a top-notch alternate. Owing to this fast increase in technology, e-business, and online startups had been on a rise. One of the sources to help those enterprise establish themselves has been a Content Management System (CMS). CMS’s assist customers layout, deploy and manipulate a website in a problem-free way.
In this article, I’ll be comparing the three famous open-source CMS’s viz. WordPress vs Joomla vs Drupal.
Overview of WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal
- WordPress is one of the maximum popular and extensively used CMSs. It powers over 30% of websites and has a marketplace share of 59.9%.
- It is a simple, flexible and a user-pleasant platform with an intuitive dashboard.
- WordPress is straightforward to install and the maximum suitable CMS in case you’re beginning as a novice because it requires little technical know-how. Also, WordPress Hosting being clean to apprehend.
- It is a customizable CMS having extra than 4000 + themes and over 55, 000+ plugins.
- Some of the firms the use of WordPress are CNN, Forbes, Wall Street Journal and so forth.
- With a market share of 6.1%, Joomla powers 3% of the websites and ranks subsequent as the second one maximum popular CMS.
- It presents ease-of-use, extensibility, and structural stability.
Joomla has a lively developer network and gives an established, flexible and effective UI.
- It is slightly tricker to install in preference to WordPress, however, calls for minimum technical knowledge.
- It is appropriate for building e-commerce online websites in addition to social networking sites.
- Some of the firms the use of Joomla are: Linux.Com, Harvard University, Cloud.Com and many others
- With a marketplace share of 4.1% Drupal and powering over 2.Three% internet site all throughout the globe, Drupal is the third most preferred CMS.
- It is a powerful, flexible and a green CMS and may be used for excessive-quit company websites.
- Drupal affords an again-give up a framework and is pretty popular amongst the developer community.
- It is an enterprise stage CMS that may be used for content-pushed websites with large facts and clients.
- Some of the companies the use of Drupal are Warner Bros, The White House, etc.
Let us now study the CMS assessment infographic evaluating WordPress vs Joomla vs Drupal for smooth knowledge.
Choosing the Right CMS
There is no such aspect of right and wrong CMS, it all depends on the kind of website you’re running.
- If you’re a beginner and are running a simple business then WordPress is the best choice.
- If you’re confident your internet site will develop drastically otherwise you’re a longtime internet site whose requirements aren’t being fulfilled by WordPress you need to choose Drupal.
- Lastly, in case you’re powering a social network website or are stressed about whether or not emigrate from WordPress to Drupal or now not, Joomla is a good middle floor.
At the same time, you can have questions like is migration from one CMS to every other viable or can you build your own CMS? Then the solution is a ‘YES’. Also, the method is quite rather easy. If you have got the right service issuer then they allow you to with hassle-free migration.
So there you go, a complete CMS comparison of WordPress vs Joomla vs Drupal to understanding CMS’s better. Hope this allows you make an informed desire depending on which CMS best fits your needs. If you’ve got any queries feel free to drop your tips inside the remark field below.
Many web professionals old and new, have always had their share of doubts when it came to WordPress.com vs WordPress.org. Though they may have some points in common there are many differences between the two that can be leveraged in order to make the most out of them. Hence, for any web pro who is serious about leveraging WordPress as a tool to build a website or publish content, it becomes imperative to know the difference between the two. This article seeks to lay emphasis on what is WordPress.com and WordPress.org, what their pros and cons are, what is the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org and when can they best be deployed.
What is WordPress.org?
WordPress.org is an open source platform which is free for one and all. Since it is a free software, you can download and install the same on your own web server. With WordPress.org, you can host your own website or blog. Hence it is also referred by many as ‘self-hosted’ WordPress.
What are the benefits of WordPress.org?
Apart from the fact that it is free to download, WordPress.org has quite a few interesting benefits. Let us look at some of the benefits, shall we?
- With WordPress.org, you have total control over your website. Which means you will not be bothered with ‘take this content’ down notifications unless you violate internet rights.
- You can monetize the website by running the ads of your choice, without splitting the revenue.
There is no restriction in terms of downloading a theme for your website. Same is the case in terms of plugins.
- Since the website is hosted on your own web server, you can make changes to the directory of the web files as you want.
- You can customize the website as you want and change its design, that too without incurring any costs.
What are the disadvantages of WordPress.org?
- You may require some prior technical knowledge. A sound understanding of HTML will be good to have but not a must.
- Since the website is self-hosted you are responsible for everything right from security updates, backup and support for the website. In addition to this, with WordPress.org, you are not a part of the WordPress network directly i.e as opposed to WordPress.org, WordPress.com makes their users a part of a large community where they explain ways of updating WordPress, provide information for resolving conflicts etc. Hence, promoting the website and marketing the same can be a daunting task.
What is WordPress.com?
WordPress.com is a WordPress hosting service created by WordPress for its customers. If you avail their hosting service, your website will be hosted on their servers. In short, WordPress.com takes care of all your hosting needs.
What are the advantages of WordPress.com?
WordPress.com basically takes away your worries when it comes to hosting requirements. But along with this major advantage, come many other advantages. Let’s see them one by one:
- WordPress.com does not require much investment in terms of time from the user’s point of view. Its setup time is considerably less.
- The overall management of the website is minimal since hosting providers take care of all the services right from file uploads etc. Which means you do not need to access the FTP account or even add domain through a control panel or conduct any such tasks.
- You need not have any technical know-how i.e you don’t need to code or know a coding language etc.
- Since it is a paid service, WordPress.com provides email and chat support to customers. In addition to this, since you are a part of the WordPress community, it can send traffic to your website by featuring your website on its marketplace portal.
What are the disadvantages of WordPress.com?
- WordPress.com allows access to a limited number of themes and templates for their website (only 165).
You do not entirely own the content on WordPress.com i.e, WordPress.com has the right to shut it down. You do not have the right to sell the website or blog without permissions.
- The free plan of WordPress.com will provide you with a subdomain i.e your website will read as www.yourwebsite.wordpress.com and not www.yourwebsite.com.
The major point of difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com is that with the former you download the software whereas with the latter you are provided with an end-to-end hosting service for WordPress. However, it is only by pitting WordPress.com vs WordPress.org, against certain parameters will know which one is a better choice.
Difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com
Based on some crucial parameters, we have explained WordPress.com vs .org.
|Control||WordPress.org gives you complete control over the content as well as the hosting aspects of the website.||WordPress.com the entire control of the website is in the hands of the hosting service. However, you can control which files have to be uploaded by telling your service provider.|
|Theme and Plugin support||Here, you can avail an unlimited number of themes and plugins.You can also avail third party plugins if necessary.||The access to the number of themes and plugins is limited. However, you can purchase themes and plugins with customized plans which could cost you dear.|
|Maintenance||Since the control of the website lies with the user, maintenance of the website is also in the hands of the user. However, this maintenance is not a tall order.||The maintenance of the website completely lies in the hands of the hosting provider i.e WordPress.com.|
|Monetization||Users can freely monetize through the WordPress.org since the platform allows one to create their own monetization models.||WordPress.com enforces stringent policies when it comes to monetization i.e. users need to have a certain amount of traffic on the website to use WordPress’ own monetizing model.|
|Analytics||With WordPress.org, your analytics end can grow more powerful by integrating your website with Google analytics or other powerful tools like KissMetrics, MixPanel etc.||One can avail Google analytics by integrating the plugin with the website only if they avail WordPress.com’s business plans. Else, the analytics come straight from WordPress.|
|Expense||The expense could be higher with WordPress.org since hosting charges, design charges incurred can go well out of control.||The expenses in case of WordPress.com can be mitigated since monthly hosting charges are limited.|
|SEO||With WordPress.org, you can install unlimited SEO features.||With WordPress.com, you can add a limited number of third-party plugins for SEO.|
In closing, we would like to add that WordPress.com and WordPress.org have their own peculiarities. For instance, WordPress.com’s free plans can be best used when you want to have your own free blog. Whereas, with WordPress.org, you can grow your own website as you want by adding more products, services or ads to monetize from. We hope that you have understood the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org is crystal clear. In case you have any doubts or queries, feel free to leave your comments below.
Before starting off with how to install WordPress locally, let us begin with what it means to install something locally. A local installation means to perform a software installation on your local computer. As simple as that. Every time an installer program is opened, you need to select its destination. On opening it, you will be given a choice of saving it either in the hard disk or the directory. Now, if you choose to install it on the external hard drive, it will still be taken as a local install only for the reason that it is performed on your local computer. But if you want to install it on WordPress hosting instead, click here.
What are the advantages of installing WordPress locally?
Installing WordPress locally is as much a delight for a businessman as for a techie. After choosing a WordPress hosting for your website, if you plan to perform install operation for WordPress locally, you will have the following advantages over others:
1. Faster response and speed time for page loading
2. Easy access to work results
3. Easy to restart the server in case of an error
4. Option to check your work multiple times before putting it live
Before installing WordPress locally, allow us to give you a brief overview of the stages that are involved while carrying out this operation. Also, ensure that you have at least PHP version 4.3+ and MySQL database server version 4+.
The stages to install WordPress locally are as follows:
1. Downloading and installing a WAMP/XAMPP server
2. WAMP/XAMPP activation
3. Downloading and Installing WordPress
5. Filling out your details
1. Downloading and Installing a WAMP/XAMPP server
As a PC user, installing a WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL and PHP) server or a XAMPP (Cross-platform Apache MySQL PHP and Pearl) is a must. These servers give you ample of space. In case you don’t have either, download and install them before you go ahead
2. Activating WAMP / XAMPP
After installing WAMP/ XAMPP activate the server by clicking on the control panel application. Here you can see Apache and MySQL options.The green mark next to them indicates that it is running properly. The process is the same for WAMP as well.
3. Downloading and Installing WordPress
Once XAMPP/WAMP is set on your system, install WordPress from wordpress.org for its latest version. After installing the same, go to the location where you have downloaded WordPress and follow these steps:
Step 1– Go to the file location and copy ‘Wordpress’ zip file. Right click on it and select extract here. Create a new folder and rename it according to your convenience to store the extracted files.
Step 2– Double-click on your browser and type ‘localhost/phpmyadmin’ inside your address bar. After pressing enter, it will show the following:
Step 3– In order to create your own database, select the database for your WordPress and click on the ‘create’ option to use it.
Step 4– Type ‘localhost’ inside your browser after finishing step 3 and select the folder that you had created. On finishing this action you will be pushed to the create configurations file page.
Click on the ‘create configuration file’ button followed by ‘lets go’. Now you are very close to putting your WordPress website on local hosting. This is what you will see after you reach the configurations page:
5. Fill in database connection and your own details
Database connection details include database name, username, password, database host and table prefix. Keep the database name same as your WordPress and the username should remain as root since it is a default for MySQL. Leave the other fields as they are. In case you have not used a password earlier leave it as it is as well.
Other details like your email, name, and password can be filled. Once this is done, click on install WordPress and you are all set.
Installing WordPress locally is easy. You can also do the same for MAC. Just a word of caution: there is a difference between the installing the same for MAC and for XAMPP/ WAMP. Do go stepwise and if you face any difficulties while doing the same, let us know by asking about it in the comments section below. We will make sure your doubts and errors get rectified.
As earlier this year we have announced WordPress Hosting on ResellerBytes. We are proud for another addition to the ResellerBytes Marketplace! Now we are introducing WordPress Lite on ResellerBytes – a simple, powerful & complete solution for WordPress websites! Let’s have a look at the plans below:
|Starter Lite||Performance Lite||Business Lite||Professional Lite|
|RAM||2 GB||4 GB||6 GB||6 GB|
|Storage||5 GB||20 GB||40 GB||40 GB|
If you have any questions regarding WordPress Hosting, you can refer to our FAQs here. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Whether you want to set up a new internet presence or redecorate your modern website, you need to have a content material control machine (CMS) for preserving and updating your digital content. It’s important to select the right CMS that satisfactory suits your desires, due to the fact that after your preliminary design there is a good risk that it is going to be your most frequently used net renovation tool. But how do you make your preference?
There are many exclusive types of CMS structures which might be to be had for businesses to pick from. Most are template-based structures that are extra affordable, further to custom designed answers providing particular advantages. Your selection will, in the long run, be primarily based on which device suits your wishes the nice.
The most vital function that a custom CMS provides is the capacity to build your platform in step with your unique and precise specifications. An opportunity for custom improvement is WordPress, which offers plugins to assist meet the needs of man or woman groups. However, plugins most effective provide the restrained capability for a generalized platform.
WordPress is utilized by nearly 60% of websites as their center CMS software. However, it’s near impossible to create a platform in an effort to meet your individual marketing, content and net desires.
It’s a completely simple method to begin the usage of a WordPress CMS: take a present platform and make restricted adjustments to it to match in together with your overall digital approach, and run with it!
On the alternative hand, a custom CMS permits for plenty greater direct enter. From the very starting, you and your internet developer can paintings collectively to set up what your needs are for your platform. Then you assist to check the CMS to make certain it meets all of your specs, even as there are numerous possibilities woven in to provide comments. When a custom CMS is applied, you could be at once involved inside the whole layout in addition to implementation method of the device.
WordPress is an open source CMS system, which means its code is obtainable to anybody. It’s low-priced, which is high-quality. But in phrases of protection, it isn’t very wonderful. New vulnerabilities and assaults on WordPress codes get up on an everyday basis, which locations your internet site at danger constantly because of the truth that it capabilities through using the equal base code.
However, a custom CMS doesn’t, as we installed above. The code receives designed from scratch, so you are loads less inclined towards assaults that won’t even be without delay aimed at you. Due to its customizability, you would possibly even be capable of getting your developer to combine extra safety features for you.
More reasons to choose a custom CMS
Having a proprietary customized CMS may be similar to LEGOs; the only limit there is is your creativity. However, if you plan on designing your own website, you’ll need to seriously consider customization. Your needs may be greater than the functionality of current software that exists.
- Flexibility: Having an internet site dressmaker and developer who permit you to build something you need is beneficial. However, 1/3-birthday party implementations are also simpler while using a custom CMS.
- Plugin-ins and Add-ons: Unlike WordPress, all additional tools need to be constructed to fit your custom design especially that may best be supported by means of your developer. Otherwise, you’ll want to pay a distinct improvement group to become familiar with the customization in an effort to provide support.
- Hosting: Monthly support and hosting is protected with most CMS solutions, which means you’ll need to use whichever issuer your clothier selects.
- Cost: Yes, a custom CMS does price more than a template-primarily based format. It calls for a sophisticated and specific set of competencies in addition to plenty extra time to construct a custom CMS, so you should expect to pay double at least (or extra) for a custom internet site compared to a WordPress website. That’s why it’s essential to decide what benefits are most crucial to you.
- Speed: Given that a custom CMS could be designed to do precisely what you want it to do, it won’t be dragged down by any useless bells and whistles. The code may be optimized so as to serve unique functions and boom the rate of your website.
- Ease of use: To do their jobs, customers simplest see what they actually need to peer. An intuitive, nicely-written CMS can be less complicated to educate workforce the way to use compared to a more complicated backend.
- Support: Usually a custom CMS has devoted in-residence aid from your developers. Therefore, commonly troubles are solved fast.
What selection is proper for you?
Before you may make a decision on a CMS to apply, evaluate what your business needs are. Start by using asking your self the subsequent questions:
- How big is the corporation? What will wide variety of stop users want to get right of entry to the internet site?
- How vital is the price to you?
- What amount of time do you’ve got to be had for enforcing a brand new machine?
- What degree of customization are you going to need?
- Are you planning on outsourcing the improvement? How about preservation?
Your answers to the questions above can assist guide you in making the satisfactory decision to your business.
Our opinion: In sure conditions, a custom CMS is probably necessary relying on your wishes.
To use a custom CMS it’ll normally require you to both decide to a web development company or have in-residence internet developers. The choice can make sense for a prime organization that is able to come up with the money for having a committed in-residence net improvement crew.
However, for maximum agencies, we assume WordPress offers an excellent solution. Websites which run on WordPress are lots more low cost, and nevertheless, offer sufficient functionality and customization for maximum companies. When WordPress is used, it additionally offers you with the flexibility if you want to paintings with diverse builders, and make sure that your website will be capable of adapt to adjustments in online layout developments.
At the cease of the day, you need a completely functioning internet site that’s designed for conversions. You can get there with a custom CMS, or templated WordPress website. The only difference is the effort and time you need to get it all executed.
Does design a website from scratch can seem like an intimidating task? Do you want to design a website and manage the content without coding or in-depth technical know-how? Enter CMS. CMS or Content management system is a software that allows publishing, editing and modifying content as well as maintenance from a central interface. CMSs are often used to run blogs, news portals, and e-commerce websites. Many corporate and marketing websites use CMSs as well. Websites built with CMSs can also be used by Resellers as an alternative to the SuperSite and are very easy to manage.
Content management systems help you keep track of each and every bit of your content on the website. The content on your website can be anything like simple text, documents, photos, music, videos. The best part of CMS is that it requires almost no technical knowledge or skill to manage and maintain it, everything about your content is managed by CMS.
Website building has become much easier with the availability of many content management systems. Although there are many content management systems out there, the level of complexity and the options that they offer can vary. Some of them are very simple, easy to use and also give the flexibility to customize the website. In this article, we are going to compare some of the most popular CMS’s to help you choose the one that fits your needs.
WordPress is a content management software that you can use it to create a beautiful website or blog. WordPress is free, but the kind of features and ease of utilization are priceless.
This software is built by the community of hundreds of volunteers, and if you decide to use this CMS software you will find thousands of plugins and themes available that can transform your site into amazingly anything you imagine. There are over 60 million people who are using WordPress CMS to power their website. WordPress also has a wide range of third party themes as a part of its offering.
WordPress started as a blogging platform and has rapidly become a preferred platform for it. WordPress can accommodate multiple authors – this is a very important feature for serious publications. Because of its popularity and enormous community, it has evolved a lot from its original purpose, and now it is not just a blog, but an all-in-one web publishing platform or CMS.
“WordPress is an easy to use CMS and the codes are easy to understand. WordPress Themes can be deployed faster as compared to any other CMS. We generally recommend WordPress as its interface is easy to understand even for non tech guys.” – Domenico, Reseller/WordPress User
Pros – Easy to use, Themes
Cons – Very limited, Susceptible to Hackers
Drupal is an open source content management platform powering millions of websites and applications. It’s built, used, and supported by an active and diverse community of people around the world. You find thousands of add-on modules and themes that will let you build any type of site you can imagine. Drupal can also be used to build advanced database management websites if one has the proper technical knowledge.
Drupal is a full-fledged, enterprise-grade CMS. It’s recommended for large projects where stability, scalability, and power are prioritized over ease of use and aesthetics. The application is quite popular and is also backed up by an enthusiastic community. Drupal was designed from the ground-up to be search engine friendly which makes it an excellent platform for any business website.
A bare Drupal installation looks like a desert after a draught. The lack of themes doesn’t make things any better. You will have to find a good designer if you want your website to look really good. Drupal also requires a bit of technical knowledge and has a steep learning curve.
“I prefer drupal because of its security aspect. It checks its modules for security breaches. Also, it allows role based authentication. One can assign different roles and permissions to those roles.
Drupal has a multi-site-feature (1 installation on many sites). It has been extremely useful for my e-commerce business with the use of the drupal commerce module.” – Aaron, Web Developer/Drupal Enthusiast
Pros – Most features and customization, Best CMS right out of the box
Cons – Steep learning curve, Lacks Design Options
Joomla is an award-winning content management system which helps users build websites and also powerful online applications. Installing and setting up of Joomla is very easy and you do not have to be an advanced user. Joomla is an open source content management solution that is available freely for everyone. Joomla works extremely well as an enterprise-grade CMS. It’s capable of handling a large volume of articles when compared to WordPress. It also works well when it comes to handling e-commerce websites. Joomla can be used by Resellers to create their own E-commerce website from the ground up as an alternative to selling Domains and Hosting Products.
Joomla! is considered extremely powerful, with a wide range of functionality that allows you significant modifications and flexibility. What sets Joomla apart from the rest of the CMS’s is the amazing community that stays behind the software with its extremely democratic approach to running the Joomla! project. Making WordPress SEO friendly is as easy as installing a free plugin. With Joomla, you’ll need a ton of work to get to the same level of search engine friendliness. Unless you have the budget to hire a SEO expert, you might want to look at alternative solutions.
“We prefer Joomla! because we have a ready to start e-commerce site which uses 3rd party plugins suited to our needs. The maintenance is easy and no developers are required.” – Marco, Joomla User
Pros – Very flexible, handles large websites well
Cons – Not SEO Friendly, Lack of free plugins when compared to Drupal/WordPress
Even though WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal are built on the same technology stack, they vary heavily in features and capabilities. For beginners, WordPress is the one which will most likely satisfy the needs of the individual. It all boils down to the end result and expectations of the user. Joomla has a slight learning curve and is better at handling bigger websites than WordPress. Drupal is the most complex out of the three and has every feature that any CMS user can ask for. Resellers can choose either one depending on their requirements to build a beautiful website to help boost their businesses. Hopefully, the above comparative information will help you choose a CMS that fits your requirements.
Which CMS do you prefer and why? Please let us know in the comments below!
We promised to bring WordPress hosting to you by the end of March and we’ve delivered! Yes, one of our most awaited launches, WordPress hosting is now live on the ResellerBytes platform. WordPress thrived owing to its impeccable user-experience and is considered to be one of the most well-known and widely used comntent management systems for hosting websites. Let’s run you through why our WordPress hosting can help you deliver excellence to your customers.
Why choose WordPress Hosting?
Our WordPress hosting provides you with all the essentials to build resilient websites – speed, reduced load time, auto back-ups and security. WordPress, much like any other CMS or software could be vulnerable to attacks if not upgraded regularly and the same applies to its plugins and core. Don’t worry about frequently updating your WordPress sites, let us take care of that to ensure that you and your customers stay worry-free.
1) Pre-Installed WordPress
You can start building your website immediately and manage all your installations from one place.
2) Automated backups + CodeGuard & SSL
Our WordPress Hosting comes with regular pre-integrated cloud backups powered by CodeGuard. With CodeGuard, even the smallest of changes on your website will be monitored and a ChangeAlert email is sent to notify you regarding any modifications or deletions with a timestamp.
You can restore your website or database to any previous backup version as well as download a zip of contents at any time. You have the option to choose whether you want to restore your files automatically or restore individual files and folders. If CodeGuard’s monitoring process detects any changes to the website source code, the files that changed or were added are transmitted to the CodeGuard repository.
Give your WordPress websites world-class protection with daily malware scans, FTP scans & vulnerability removal with SiteLock! Sit back, relax, and keep those security threats at bay! Did you know that SiteLock has protected more than 1,000,000 online businesses around the globe? That’s more than any other website security or virus scan provider. Get 360° Website Security.
SiteLock’s technology combines patent pending scans with automatic malware removal tools and enterprise-grade firewalls to protect your website. After your website is scanned and secure, you can proudly display the SiteLock Trust Seal which is proven to increase sales. What’s a better way to fortify your websites for your customers!
3) Fully Managed Services
Now spend less time managing and more time doing what you love – building websites. Leave the technical stuff to us!
4) Scalable resources
Planning to start small? No problem. Scale up once your website expands. The best thing about WordPress is that it grows with you. Our WordPress hosting is built on cloud technology and is highly scalable. You can add up to 8 CPU cores and 8GB RAM to boost your site on the fly.
5) Intuitive Dashboard
ResellerBytes WordPress Hosting gives you a feature-rich control panel to manage your WordPress Websites, Email, SSL & more as well as monitor usage of CPU Cores and RAM on.your package. You also have the convenience of managing custom WordPress panels for easy SSL installations. You can:
- Monitor resource utilization
- Install & Manage WordPress instances
- Access Email, Backups & Security
- Login to WordPress Dashboard
Now that you’re well-versed with what we have to offer, you can have a look at plans in the table below.
|RAM||2 GB||4 GB||6 GB||6 GB|
|Storage||5 GB||20 GB||50 GB||80 GB|
|CodeGuard||1 GB||5 GB||10 GB||25 GB|
(promos 1st month)
Did you know that a 2-second delay in page load time causes 87% abandonment of websites (according to Aberdeen Group, gomez.com, akamai.com)? We offer a complete solution that takes care of speed, security and makes WordPress extremely simple. If you have any questions regarding WordPress Hosting, you can refer to our FAQs here. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.